Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Aisley Cowl

Photobucket

Those of you that follow the blog may recall that I have talked about a cowl that I designed for my husband. The plan was that he would model it and then I'd use his pictures for the pattern. My husband, I found, is not a willing model. So I bit the bullet, took pics of myself in it, and now am offering the pattern!

The cowl is knit in a basket stitch with super bulky yarn, making it a quick knit and fitting in with the trend toward bulky knits. "Aisley" means "Down in the ash glade," the colors remind me of the ash tree. I used my recycled wools, but have found that Rowan "Biggy Print" Yarn in Biscuit is pretty close to my final product (or you could choose any super bulky yarn and modify the pattern to your liking). The cowl is knit on size 13 needles and the ends joined with a mattress stitch. Easy Peasy!

Photobucket

The Aisley Cowl

Size 13 needles
Any super bulky yarn (6 stitches per inch) - To get similar results in color, use Rowan "Biggy Print" yarn in Biscuit.
Buy around 100 to 125 yards
Gauge doesn't matter so much!

Basket Weave Pattern

Row 1 (RS): Knit
Row 2: Perl
Row 3: *K1, P4, K1, rep from * to end of row
Row 4: *P1, K4, P1, rep from * to end of row
Row 5: as row 3
Row 6: as row 4
Row 7: K
Row 8: P
Row 9: *P2, K2, P2, rep from * to end of row
Row 10: *K2, P2, K2, rep from * to end of row
Row 11: As row 9
Row 12: As row 10
Rep these 12 rows

Cowl instructions:

CO 30 stitches (cowl can be made taller or shorter by casting on in multiples of 6; remember, this is the height of the cowl on your neck.

Follow Basket Weave stitch pattern for approximately 24 inches, ending on row 12 of the pattern.

Bind off edge.

Join end to end using a mattress stitch. If done well, you shouldn't see where the join was made.

Photobucket

Hope you enjoy the pattern. Please feel free to leave comments or suggestions and let me know if you have any questions!
ADDENDUM: Aug 22, 2010 - Someone who remained Anonymous left a message that they had knitted the pattern and it didn't turn out like the swatch. Have you had this happen, too? I've knit this three times from my own pattern and it turned out okay, so let me know if you've had a similar experience.

7 comments:

stringsofpurls said...

I have been favorite-ing cowls on Ravelry for a while. I will have to give this a try! Very pretty!

Cora said...

I love it! Beautiful, warm and cozy looking!

I wish I could do this!!

Roxanne said...

Ppfft, did you tell hubby he couldn't have his? I have some bulky laying around. Did you say about how many yards?

Erin Wallace said...

Roxanne - truthfully, I was bad and didn't measure the yardage, so I went to Ravelry and looked at similar cowls that used bulky and super-bulky, and they called for between 100 to 125 yards. I think you'd be good with that amount. I can tell you it used very little yarn. And I'm claiming the cowl from the hubs!

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

I love it. Everyon eneeds a good cowl.

:)Lisa

Stacy said...

Thanks for the pattern. I have never knit a cowl but have been wanting to try it. Looks great!

Janis said...

Very talented you are Erin... :^)

Related Posts with Thumbnails