Like I said in the last post, I saw a Strawberry Bavarian Cream Cake on $40 a Day with Rachael Ray and got the inspiration for this cake. It's sloppy but easy to make, and there are several ways that you can construct it.
You will need:
Butter cake mix
Butter cream frosting (optional, read recipe to help you decide)
2 packages of strawberries
1 can Thank You brand vanilla pudding
1 small container of Kool Whip
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Bake cake as per package directions in round cake tins (this is a layer cake). Let cool completely.
2. While cake is cooling, combine entire can of pudding, an equal portion of Kool Whip, and the 2 cups of powdered sugar. This is your Bavarian Cream.
3. Also while cake is cooling slice one container of strawberries and cut off the leaves from the other package.
4. After cake has cooled, take one of your layers and remove a shallow bowl shaped section from the top of the cake. Pour about half of the cream mixture into this section. Then top with sliced strawberries
5. Place second layer on top of first.
Here's where your options come in. At this point you can either
A. Frost cake with butter cream frosting (messy but do-able; just make sure you fill in the entire space between the two layers with frosting) and top cake with remaining strawberries. Refrigerate if not serving immediately. This will help harden the cream a bit.
B. Pour the remaining cream mixture over the cake and top with strawberries (you will have to chill this cake until the cream is harder if you aren't going to serve the cake immediately).
It is super good and drew rave reviews. My son ate close to 3/4 of the cake over the course of yesterday and today and everyone else ate the rest and was satisfied with their servings. Let me know what you think!