Monday, April 11, 2011

Beauty

As you know, I've been thinking a lot about beauty lately. I've read Vogue magazine since I was 16 (and I lurve it passionately); it's always been a given for me that there are "beautiful people" and then there are mere mortals and really, that's okay with me. I've always seen beauty as something more internal than external. I'm not going to tell you that I don't have those girls moments when I wish I had Giselle's body, quite the contrary; I've just always worked to believe that I'm beautiful in my own way.

Times that I feel beautiful:

When Tim looks at me like he's never seen anything more breathtaking than me.

When William touches my cheek with his little hand, giving me a look like he's never seen anything quite like my face, and says, "Mommy, you eautiful."

When I just wake up from a really nice dream and I'm still in that dreamy haze.

When I know that I've done something good or selfless for someone else.

While singing praises, and that totally indescribable transcendence falls over me.

There are other times, and as I am writing this, I'm getting the idea that I should start a beauty journal, not just of my beauty moments but of those I see around me. There is so much beauty in this world, and if we look for it, the decay and sadness around us doesn't seem so overwhelming. A photographic exercise that I find myself doing a lot is going to a place that from far away seems to have no inherent beauty (a dirty shoreline, an overgrown, grey thicket, a crumbling building) and find and photograph the beauty there. I never know what I will find, and sometimes I have to look pretty hard, but I always find something. Beauty is everywhere if you just take the time to look for it.

When do you feel beautiful?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

11 comments:

Cindy said...

This is a wonderful post Erin, and the world is a beautiful place when we look for it. When do I feel beautiful....smelling a flower, in a long bubble bath, when I do something good for someone else. This is very thought provoking. beautiful you. have a great week.

Unknown said...

It's great you can find those moments when you feel beautiful. :-D
gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com

Jen Sirois. said...

I feel beautiful when I am absorbed something I love to do, like knitting or reading. I also feel beautiful when I finish a hard work out or do something good for me. This is all in addition to your wonderful list.

I like the idea of a beauty journal. I can feel new blog category in the making. =)

Wende said...

Oh Erin... I feel you. I love this post juxtaposed with your post on mirrors.

Aging gracefully is such hard work. I think emotionally more than physically. (although the clicking sounds in my joints would argue.)

As for when I feel beautiful. Honestly? Um... 4 days into my cycle. Yeah, that's hormones for you. :D

Douglas Dahl said...

Great question. Having 6 daughters this subject comes up often. I believe everyone has a unique beauty that God wants to bring out. Joy tends to bring out beauty. Of course, Joy just can't be manufactured. But that is a different subject perhaps. Good post.

sara said...

It's all about Pie for me. When she holds her arms up to me, or jumps and squeals with joy when I come in from work...in those moments I am more beutiful than anything in the world.

L.A.C.E. said...

I feel beautiful in the shower. and as odd as this sounds. I feel beautiful the moments just after giving birth to my child and holding him/her in my arms for the first time and them nursing. NO pictures, just me and baby.

Josh Johnson said...

Hi, I'm with an online vintage dress boutique called Shabby Apple (www.shabbyapple.com) and I adore your blog. Shabby Apple offers affordable, stylish attire perfect for a day at work or play, or a night on the town. We would love to partner with you and offer your readers a 10% off coupon as well as the opportunity to giveaway or review one of our dresses on your blog. Please check us out at www.shabbyapple.com and let me know if you are interested.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon!

Thanks,

Heather Johnson
hjohnson@shabbyapple.com

(this is only open to US residents, if this is not a possibility please let me know)

Char said...

gorgeous thoughts about beauty and i think it will be a wonderful exploration for you. i haven't felt beautiful lately and am looking to turn that around.

Andi said...

I think a beauty journal is a great idea.

I feel beautiful when I surround myself with bright colors and cheerful things. They make me happy and I feel beautiful when I'm happy.

Relyn Lawson said...

This post makes my heart swell and my eyes leak. I love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails