Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cookies, Muffins, and Pies, Oh My!

Photobucket

I have been incredibly busy this week, but am enjoying myself. You see, I have been a baking maniac, and if there's one thing I love to do, it's bake. The regular baking lady at the local Farmer's Market is having her knee replaced and my husband mentioned to her that I am a good baker. She told me all of her prices, what she usually bakes, and gave me her blessing.

Thus far, I have baked 5 varieties of cookies in quadruple batches. Do you know that I used to hate creaming butter and sugar? Now, it's calming, meditative. And using my great grandmother's pastry tool, which prepared many a pie crust (though I am told that they were as heavy as bricks) makes the act even more special. Today is muffin baking day, and try as I might, I could not find large muffin cups, so it's going to be regular sized muffins this week (apple streudel, blueberry, and banana nut, maybe chocolate chip). And then there's pies. She usually bakes 25 pies the day before, small, large, sugar free and high test, apple, peach, blueberry, cherry, etc. That intimidates me, but I CAN DO IT!

Photobucket

Unfortunately, this may all be for naught, as it's been raining all week and may rain all weekend. Thankfully we have a large freezer and baked goods freeze well. And I have a family with a sweet tooth. So I may not have to freeze a thing, as it will all be eaten up and my family will be found in a sugar coma by the neighbors!

Photobucket

I found the most Ah-Mazing Snickerdoodle recipe. Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles are absolutely, bar none, the best snickerdoodles I have ever eaten. They are like chewy Spritz cookies (German butter cookies) with cinnamon and sugar on them. I did learn that they have to be pressed down before baking or they will be very thick, but you might like them that way. Give them a try, but I'm going to warn you, it's hard to stop at just one. Smitten Kitchen's oatmeal cookie recipe is also divine, but unless you make minuscule cookies you will only get 1 dozen cookies from a batch. And that batch might not last long once you taste them!

9 comments:

janis said...

gimme some of that pecan pie please...
it all looks lovely! happy baking!

Charma @ Surprised Mama said...

Oh wow! These look delicious! I will definitely have to check out that snickerdoodle recipe.

Unknown said...

I hope you get good weather and a great sale! I will keep my fingers crossed for your cool opportunity.
Jenny at dapperhouse (from BV)

Anonymous said...

Pecan Pie is probably one of my FAVES! Wanna make one for me? ;)

Katiebee said...

wishing you good weather & lots of hungry folks! thanks for sharing the recipes~ definately gonna try the snickerdoodles~

xo

katie

Rachele said...

I love Pecan pie but have never made one. Kudos to you for ALL that baking. I like to bake but am not spectacular at it (unless it comes from a box). Do you still love baking after all this?

Hope the rain stops and your hard work PAYS off.

AO said...

i love pecans & all the things you mentioned made me hungry lol! c",)

Anonymous said...

Snickerdoodles are my all time fav cookies! Def going to have to bookmark that link! It all looks delicious!

sara said...

just let me know the next time you're making pecan pies and I'll be sure to get you my address :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails