Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's 9/11/2011 and I don't know what to say. . .

. . .which brings back the helplessness that I felt on that day.  I had a day of shopping planned, which seems so frivolous now, and called my friend MaryAlice to chat.  She told me to turn on the tv because she thought the malls would be closed.  "Why in the world would the mall be closed on a Wednesday?" I remember thinking, and then there it was, on the screen, smoke billowing out of the North Tower, people hanging out of windows desperate to be saved, others jumping out from 90 story windows to certain death. 

And my total shock and instant feeling of helplessness.  There I was in Ohio, minutes before upset that I couldn't spend the day shopping, and now the woman on the tv is saying something about the tower collapsing.  And another plane flying into the Pentagon and another downed in Virginia.  This is really happening and I am watching it happen.  The other towers topple, people are covered in ash, struggling for breath.  First responders are trapped, most likely dead.  Did a plane really fly into the World Trade Center?  Yes, it did, there it is on the tv, along with a picture of a huge hole in the Pentagon.

I felt that same sadness today as I looked at photos of the plane flying into the tower.  Of people looking at conspiracy to explain the unexplainable.  Of people holding photographs of loved ones lost in the attacks. 

So really, I don't know what to say because it all seems trivial and words are failing me. But to say nothing is to ignore those that lost their lives.  We must never forget.


11 comments:

Gidget said...

That's exactly how I feel - what can you possibly say? But, reading your post has made me realize that I need to say something because we must never forget.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I feel exactly the same: speechless.
Thanks for this post.
xoRobyn

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

This was a wonderful post. I wasn't planning to write a blog post on this but I couldn't sleep, so I wrote. I'm also your newest followers. Please feel free to join my site. Thanks for commenting on my blog post today. Www.the-mommyhood-chronicles.com. Looking forward to reading more.

beth said...

we will never forget those numbers.....9-11...but like you i'm a bit speechless today.

Unknown said...

I have been struggling to write a post all day. Everything I type seems trivial.

By the way, thank you for the comment, I really appreciate the reassurance!!

Torhild Reidardatter said...

We will not forget! Words gets empty. The whole world watched and was speechless.We in Norway experienced the same july 22. How do we heal after a attac like this? With love. Love is the greatest of all.

Sandra said...

Beautifully written, lovely tribute. All so much...sadly.

Unknown said...

Saddens me to this day, as it does everyone. I was at the dentist with my 2 oldest daughters for a routine cleaning. I was in the exam room with one of my daughters when my ex called me to tell me what was happening. I went out to the lobby and watched through tears as our nation and our people began to topple. I personally will never forget!

MariaS said...

Thank you for this post!

Canadianmom said...

Hello, following from Meaningful Monday Blog Hop.

I can tell you I will never forget that day. I remember exactly what I was doing when the news came on that morning. Complete and utter shock, and sadness. I don't think anyone could ever forget.

Blessing always!
Jen

Anonymous said...

We most definitely should never forget what happened that day and the many lives that were lost.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this post.
Hope you're having a great week,
Barbara
Español para Niños (Spanish for Kids)

Related Posts with Thumbnails