Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Amazing Caramel Icing

Kendall had her 18th (!!!!!!) birthday this weekend and I made a devil's food cake with caramel. Icing. It. Was. Amazing. I found the devil's food cake recipe online; I just made sure that I found a recipe that used cocoa instead of chocolate that had to be melted as I've had better luck with these recipes.

Icing is Incredibly easy to make and once you make your own, you'll never go back to those pasty tubs that you find in the grocery store. Just try this Amazing Caramel Icing recipe and you will be a convert forever.

Amazing Caramel Icing

You'll need
1 stick butter
2 cups (packed) of brown sugar, light or dark.
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
a bag of powdered sugar

To make it:
1. In a heavy saucepan, melt the stick of butter.
2. Add the brown sugar, milk, and vanilla to the butter and mix well.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil over Medium High heat. Stir continuously while mixture is at a boil for 3 - 5 minutes (for those of you that are candy makers, you do not want to take the caramel to the soft ball stage, but just below it.)
4. Take caramel off of heat. Let it cool for a minute or so, it will be very hot. (Resist the temptation to lick the spoon unless you'd like to eradicate your taste buds).
5. In this stage I can't be incredibly exact. I generally start with 2 cups of powdered sugar and using a low hand mixer add it to the caramel. The mixture will be very runny, but remember, it's still hot. Give it around an hour to cool and check it again. I've had to add upwards or 5 total cups of powdered sugar to the caramel to give the icing the consistency I want. I suppose you could also halve the caramel ingredients, but I'd rather have too much icing than too little.
6. Let the icing cool almost completely. Ice your Totally cool cake (if you put this on a hot cake, the butter will separate from the sugar and cause a big mess).
7. Cut yourself a Little Piece of cake - this icing is RICH!

Interestingly enough, my mom told me that my great grandmother Margery used to make this same cake as a signature cake which was what I was thinking of doing with mine. Good taste must run in the family! Enjoy!

6 comments:

janis said...

oh my gosh... my mouth actually started to water.. yummy

Lois Evensen said...

My GOODNESS that looks GREAT!

Sarah said...

Oh, yum! I love caramel anything!

Jacob said...

Boy do I want a piece of that cake!
By the way, this is Jacob from Philosophi-guy. The blog you followed so long ago. Also, happy birthday to Kendall!

-Jacob

Dianne said...

This looks amazing. I am visiting from Linkedin.

Brenda said...

Wow, that looks soooo good! My stomach actually just growled!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails