Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Book of Yarn, Spring is Busting out All Over

The Book of Yarn

I recently had to return Clara Parkes' The Knitter's Book of Yarn to the library, and I gotta tell you, I didn't want to! Initially, I wondered how a 256 page book about yarn could be getting the great reviews that it is getting - I love yarn, but 256 pages of it? Well, the information on yarn is fascinating, and the book has a large section with really fantastic patterns using the various varieties of yarn featured in the book. I made the Ruffle Scarf. I didn't make it as wide as recommended in the book, but it still came out looking great. The patterns alone are worth the price of the book. I'm going to save my pennies for this one!

Still plugging away at the wrap, which I have decided to modify into a poncho. Made up for the lost stitches and then some. The cables in the pattern don't make for a pretty reverse side, so a poncho it is. Should make a pretty one.

Spring is Busting Out All Over!

Spring is such an exciting time for us gardeners, isn't it? Every day, I take my daily constitutional around the garden to see what is blooming now that spring is here.

Today, a new variety of clematis started to bloom in my rose bed. The Nelly Moser clematis is my favorite variety - great color, nice varigation, long flowering for a clematis, and pretty seedheads once the blooking is over. It is going up a pergola with a New Dawn climbing rose.

Photobucket

Nelly Moser bloom with Sea Lavender flowers

The pinks are starting to bloom! My carnations took a beating this winter and unfortunately didn't come back as bushy and large as they have been in previous years. Most of my lavender died, too; I'm thinking of replacing the plants with starts of catmint from my other garden beds.

Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails