Sunday, February 27, 2011

William, Who is Now 4

Days seem to fly by, don't they? One day, you are holding a newborn preemie in you arms, marveling over his tiny fingers and feet, and the next day he is tearing into presents, blowing out candles, and cracking you up more than anyone ever could.

Photobucket

William turned four yesterday. It was the first birthday I think he actually "got." When I asked him when he woke up what day it was, he said "William's cake day!" Our first order of business was a trip to the pet store where we picked out 3 goldfish and a plecostomus. Rather thrilling for a child who has always adored fish, and goldfish above others (and entertaining for a kitten with insatiable curiosity).

Photobucket

His birthday party was a small affair with the family and the grandparents (I'm trying to discourage the huge yearly birthday party expectation that the older kids have). And it was a blast. It was the first year that he unwrapped his presents on his own, and in the lovely innocence of a four-year-old was in love with everything that he opened (except maybe the clothes that we bought him). Of course, when you love Hotwheels and you get tons of them, life is good.

Photobucket

There was much hilarity playing with new blocks and sitting at mommy's old table and chairs (that grandma brought and passed on to him), and then there was cake. A devil's food chocolate icing cake with sprinkles and four candles, which sissy helped blow out (his smile while everyone was singing to him was priceless). And then chocolate icing on every item of clothing he was wearing.

Photobucket

And then playing late into the night on his special cake day. The years have flown. And some days I want to stop time and keep him little forever. But then we have a fun, silly big boy day and I marvel at the little boy he is becoming. Happy fourth birthday, William.

Photobucket


Kazoo 468 x 60

23 comments:

Katiebee said...

awwww, i loved this post! he's such a cute little guy~ happy birthday William!

xo

katie

Super Single Mom and Her Side Kids said...

Oh my gosh! He is so adorable! I agree with you.. it goes by so fast. I now have a 12, 9 and 8 year old and simply cannot believe it. One day they are tiny.. next thing you know....
I try to enjoy every moment.. even the shitty ones! LOL
I just wanted to thank you for reading and following my blog! It really does mean so much! I am now a new follower of your blog...
Crystal Lynn

Kim of Mo Betta said...

Isn't it the truth?! I can't believe how quickly time flies. My oldest is almost 10 and my youngest is almost 3, it just doesn't seem possible! Thanks for visiting, now following!

Sandie said...

Thanks for following! I am now following back!! :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post!

My favorite part was the "recycled table and chairs" ... my kids have a lot of toys that were once mine, and it gives them special meaning.

Pamela Holderman said...

Ah what fun... enjoy every moment. Seems like only yesterday mine were that young and I was so tired all the time. Well that I don't miss. Wish I could pop by for some of that cake too.

Char said...

they grow so very very very fast - like quicksilver through our fingers.

he is just so adorable

Lois Evensen said...

Awww, happy birthday again to William!

Sarah said...

It sounds like the perfect birthday!

Samantha said...

Following back from http://havesippywilltravel.blogspot.com/
thanks!

Amanda said...

My oldest is 4 1/2- time goes by so fast! Thanks for stopping by. Following you back!
http://tooblessed-tobestressed.blogspot.com/

Anna said...

He's so cute! My daughter just turned 2 and I can't believe it. Everyone always says "they grow up fast" but you don't believe it until they are your own! :)

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com
askannamoseley@gmail.com

Jess said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am now following back!

~Jess @ makingoverthemartins.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great pictures and I am now following you back. I got your message on my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Mary
http://mmbearcupoftea.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Awww Happy Birthday Will!

janis said...

So precious! He will grew so fast! Hold on to him Sweetie♥ Blink and he's 24!

Blogger Broadcast said...

Oh no! Please don't talk about time flying by. He is a doll!

sara said...

Happy Birthday William!!

He is gorgeous Erin!

Cynthia said...

I'm a new follower. Please come follow me at http://preciouscupcakes.blogspot.com :)

I have a Jo-Ann's gift card giveaway going on right now! Plus other giveaways like free Starbucks and Carter's swimwear :)

ChinaDoll said...

kids nowadays grow up really fast...belated happy birthday to your little William :)

♥hugs♥
coLine
www.thepinkchinadoll.com

Laurie said...

Happy belated birthday to William! What a handsome young man he is. Thank you for sharing this day with us.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, a little late, to William!

Brandy Nelson said...

He's adorable!! Thanks for stopping by! I am following you back!
Have a wonderful weekend :)

Brandy
http://www.NewlyCrunchyMamaof3.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails