Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How Do You Deal with Writer's Block?

So yesterday I was on Twitter and one of my contacts was suffering with a huge case of writer's block. I told her that they way I deal with it is just to sit down and write anything, as long as you are writing. That's been my strategy for as long as I can remember.

And then today came. I woke up and my brain, which is usually brimming over with blog ideas, is sluggish and dry. I have writer's block, which seems somehow like some evil karma coming back to slap me in the face. So I am doing what I told my Tweep to do and writing. Anything.

When my brain freezes up like this it's like one of those natural dams. Things have been flowing along quite nicely then all of the sudden silt and dross and decaying leaves block up everything (because it usually is the silt and dross in my life that clogs me up). The pressure of the flow builds up, but though it yearns to break free, there is nothing that can break the dam. Until one day, a huge swell comes through and the ideas flow again. You never know when that swell will happen, so, like any writer, you fret and continue to claw away, begging for any spark of inspiration.

I went to several different writing prompt sites today, looking for that spark. A few prompts were, quite frankly, ridiculous, and a few informed me that it was free writing day. How's that for a slap in the face? If I could write freely, would I be looking for a prompt?

So I took my own advice, and here's the result. I can't say that it freed me in any way, but at least I've gotten some words out and the page is no longer blank.

What do you do when you have writer's block? Is there a process or a piece of advice you follow? Do you have a muse, a fail safe? Millions of writers would love to know.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

2 comments:

mrs mediocrity said...

So funny that I came here to read this just now, five minutes ago I was thinking about writer's block! Mostly, I do what you do, I just sit down and write. I never feel like those pieces have the same quality as one that are written while the muse is visiting, but that's okay. Or sometimes I take a break, no internet, television etc. and just let my mind wander.

Jennifer Farris said...

I saw this post on my blogger dashboard and had to visit you because I am suffering from writer's block right now, very much so. We moved a month ago, and ever since we moved, all my ideas have gotten clogged up. That's a perfect analogy. I'm desperately trying to unclog the dam, but I just end up frustrated. Good luck to you. Glad I'm not the only one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails