Thursday, April 22, 2010

A day in the sun

Photobucket

Today, I finally got some much needed time in my garden. Raking leaves out of the garden that protected my roses, pulling weeds, staking and pruning the rose bushes, taking inventory of what survived the winter and what needs a replacement.

Photobucket

I still have much to do. A vegetable garden to plant. Seeds to sow. and zillions of thistles and other weeds to pull (oh, the queen anne's lace! You are so pretty, but why must you be so invasive?), mulching, amending my hard as clay soil. A whole summer's worth of gardening projects.

Photobucket

Yet what is better than getting out in the sun, feeling the heat of it, and getting dirt under your fingernails? Gardening is my first love, before knitting, cooking, all of those other crafty things. It is in my blood. Perennials and vegetables course through my veins from generations back. I truly feel at home in the garden.

Photobucket


8 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, how lovely. And, what a wonderful day to enjoy being out in Mother Nature's space. :) Those of us who also garden can so appreciate your beautiful description of being out in your garden.

Lois

Roxanne said...

What a great way to spend Earth Day. I hope in the next few weeks to toil in my rocky backyard and start a little something special. I adore you Erin; I love your way with words. xo.

Michelle, Queen Behind the Lens! said...

Was not quite so pretty here today, though the sun did come out in the late afternoon. Glad you got out there. Sometimes it takes some doing to make it out the door, but I know I always feel better once I've really worked up a sweat pulling weeds & planting green things. Gardening was my first love, too. I did not learn to sew until I was in my late 20's and I just learned to knit four years ago, but long before all that I was digging gardens in my rented yards.

trishie said...

Sounds so productive and lovely. Happy gardening!

Stacy said...

You're so fortunate to have a garden. I like in an apartment with a cement patio and have been craving a garden. Containers for me. Looking forward to seeing photos of your garden as it progresses.

Linda said...

Lovely time spent in the garden. I hope to do just that this weekend too.

Maiden Jane said...

I'm glad you enjoyed a lovely day in the garden. I wish I can say I enjoyed it as much as you, but I'm a city girl through and through. My husband loves to work in the yard and garden, however. He doesn't believe me when I tell him I maintained a garden for three summers. It was a program in Cleveland in which they gave you a plot of land (near a school). It was actually a great program...but it didn't rub off on me!

Anonymous said...

glad you got some time outside. lovely photos + words.

:)

xo Alison

Related Posts with Thumbnails