Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Once Upon a Time . . .

I joined a group today on Facebook called "I remember when we passed notes instead of texting." The world has become technologically complicated and saturated, hasn't it?

Photobucket



A few years ago, I had to show my niece how to use the rotary phone in my grandparents basement. She had no clue. My mom told me that the kids at her school (she's a secretary) are always amazed that records have two sides.

When I was practicing medicine, I always used to wonder (usually when I had been up all night answering questions about Tylenol dosing) what doctors did in the time before pagers and cell phones. I hated my pager with a loathing that has no words.

Do you miss typewriters? While the computer has HUGE advantages over typewriters, there's nothing like the "clack clack clack" of typing and the "ca-ching" of hitting the return button.

Photobucket



Life used to be quieter. There were no booming subwoofers in that annoying kid's car that shake your windows at 3:00 A.M. We used to actually have to step out of our homes to talk to people. If you wanted to hear the newest record, you went to your friends house to see if you liked it. Introverts like me were forced to interact with the world, not a computer.

Life was slower. You couldn't Twitter that celebrity sighting or political scandal the moment it happened. There were 5 channels on the TV, all of which went off at midnight (to the strains of "The Star Spangled Banner.") I wasn't in 22 sports and miscellaneous activities throughout the year. If I wanted to play soccer on a particular day, I just showed up at the field. When I got bored, I went outside and picked flowers and laid in the grass and stared at the sky.

Photobucket



I think I yearn for those days, then I remember my Facebook account that has reintroduced me to friends and family, and this blog that has opened me up and saved me in ways that I can't even describe. Not to mention The Internet. How could we live without it - well, there is that building called The Library.

Photos from We Heart It

5 comments:

Cora said...

I remember all those things and more...some of it I miss and some of it I don't. We move on with the progress that the world provides, but it is up to us to keep it slow, easy and relaxed. At least we can lay in the grass while texting our friends and family!!
A great post...makes you think!

The Neo-Traditionalist said...

I totally understand your nostalgia! How I miss handwritten notes and rotary phones---the whole bit! My fiance actually collects typewriters. It's a bit hilarious. They're so neat looking I allow it : )
xoxo katie

Maiden Jane said...

I feel the same way. (love the typewriter...). I long for a simpler time, but also feel very connected to people. I do feel that we are a bit addicted....I think I am to the internet and my teens are to texting....so I'm not sure if that's good.

Roxanne said...

It's funny because I raised this way; we used a typewriter in my home until 2001. I still listen to vinyl and have a rotary phone because it's too pretty not to have one. The Internet and it's wonders are nice, but sometimes I love that quiet.

Manda said...

You brought me back...
To a life that WAS quieter, slower, peaceful.

You mention of the subwoofers, made me bust a gut ~ I can relate.

Great post, Erin :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails