Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bedtime

Putting William to bed tonight I paid attention a little more closely.

I watched his fingers trace the letters as I read Curious George.

I feel his hair against my cheek - silky and smooth.

How he snuggles into my arm, close to my side. I hug him a little tighter.

He twirls my hair while I read. His button nose scrunches and he yawns from his toes. He has always fought sleep.

I turn off the light and he falls asleep.

Photobucket

I try to push this moment deep into my heart. I wish my eyes were cameras so I will never forget what he looks like when he sleeps.

Photobucket

Because the day will come when he reads on his own.

When he won't want snuggles and won't twirl my hair.

When his button nose will grow away.

When he won't want me to hold him when he sleeps.

Photobucket

So I hold him a little longer than I should, listen to him breathe for a little too long.

Because I love him and that's all I can do.


Photobucket

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-) This is truly lovely. Thanks for reminding us that we all need to do this more often with those we love.

Unknown said...

So sweet...it all goes by so fast doesn't it!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

so sweet...

julochka said...

this sounds like the perfect post for christina's (soul aperture)beautiful simple things project that's going around the blogosphere today.

http://soulaperture.blogspot.com/2010/01/simple-things.html

thanks for stopping by my lego post yesterday! it's always fun to find new blogs! and it looks like william will be ready for legos (or at least the duplo size) very soon!

SE'LAH... said...

love. so sweet.

stopping by from Soul Aperture to say HI.

one love.

Cyndy said...

I have a son who loves to twirl my hair, too. He is now 13 and when he gets sleepy, and snuggles up with me, he still does it. Eyes like cameras, yes, so many snapshots of life to enjoy! Thank you so much for your list...

Char said...

thank you for sharing this at christina's - so beautiful

stringsofpurls said...

So true. My oldest baby is 29 and youngest is 16. It goes fast...but then there are grandchildren :-)

Kitty said...

What a sweet little muffin! I love the photos- really beautiful!

christina said...

so glad you stopped by. this is just gorgeous.
here is to button noses and love.
xo

iasa said...

it's those little magical moments that mean so much

Sherry said...

How beautiful. They grow so quickly and enjoying the moments as they happen, that is truly savouring life's pleasures.

beth said...

hold those moments in your heart...make notes in a notebook of how you feel now and what you're doing with him...for him.....

because if you blink....what you said is true... he'll be a man...

and you will miss today more than you ever thought possible....

Stacy said...

That was such a beautiful, heart-warming post. The photos of William are just gorgeous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails