Thursday, January 21, 2010

Toulouse-Lautrec: The Art of Cuisine

So I thought I'd share some of my treasures with you. This cookbook by Toulouse-Lautrec and Maurice Joyant is one of my absolute favorite books. It is filled with art by the artist and is, most definitely, a serious cookbook. Toulouse-Lautrec was apparently well known for hosting lavish dinner parties and this book was a result of his gourmet prowess.

Photobucket

The book is supposedly filled with Toulouse-Lautrec's most requested recipes. A delightful thing about the book is that most pages also are illustrated by the great artist. Here, a recipe for Roast Turkey for a Shooting Lunch:

Photobucket

Dindon Roti Pour Dejeuner de Chasse
"For a 14 lb. turkey use 1 lb. each ground beef, veal, and sausage meat and 1/2 lb. chestnuts. If no boudin (blood sausage), chop turkey liver and 3 chicken livers, sauteed, plus 1/2 lb. extra sausage meat."

Each section (game meats, desserts, vegetables) is introducted with a full color painting:

Photobucket

And then there is my favorite section, Ultima Ratio Finis, which includes recipes for Grasshoppers Grilled in the Fashion of Saint John the Baptist, Saint on the Grill, and Ancient Recipe.

Photobucket

Saint sur la Gril
"With the help of the Vatican try to procure for yourself a real(!) saint.

Treat him as St. Lawrence was treated on August tenth, A.D. 258. When you have whipped him, lay him on the grill over a big bed of charcoal. Like his predecessor, if he is a real saint, he himself will ask to be turned over in order to be grilled to a turn on both sides"

This is one of my favorite books and believe it of not, Amazon has a few copies of it. The new copy is $75.00, but the collectible copies sell for much less. Here's a link of you are interested. I promise that if you are an art lover and/or a cook, you will get hours of enjoyment from this amazing book!

5 comments:

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

This is amazing.

Ulrika said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my place :)
You're a knitter! I'm trying that out too..

sarah said...

Erin,
Good to "meet" a fellow yarn lover!

Grilled grasshoppers? We would have had a feast last summer here in MT!

Sarah
(Montana Mornings + Bee House Hives)

P.S Thanks for visiting today, glad you liked it!

Caroline said...

I had no idea he had a cookbook! I love his artwork.

Kitty said...

Thanks so much for showing the cookbook! I love his work and whenever I see his work always have to think of his time and place in history, and it always makes me grin.

I love the look of the blog! Your header kicks ass! It's really really pretty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails