Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Finally, some Knitting Stuff!

So I haven't written about my knitting in a while; I thought I'd let you know what is going on in my little yarnie world.

First, I am knitting a pair of socks. After looking through Ravelry's free sock patterns FOREVER, I decided to knit the Spiral Eyelet Sock by Sandi Rosner. It seemed a good pattern for a self-striping sock yarn; I'm using Deborah Norville Serenity Sock Yarn in Thyme. It's a pretty good yarn (Merino Wool and Bamboo for $3.29 a skein), and I love the colors,except that I've found that if I'm not careful it does split. It's easy on the hands, and it is really soft, so overall, I'm pretty happy with it!

Photobucket

I am really slow with socks. I don't know if it's because the stitches are so tiny, but I'm not one of those that can knit a sock in a day. Also, William may have something to do with it - almost three-year-olds tend to want your attention all of the time. But I figure this is good prep for Kate's Lace Knit Along, for which I have decided to knit Absinthe, which is a toe-up sock (I may be crazy, but it's all about challenging myself, you know??).

Photobucket

So I unraveled a sweater made of fingering weight yarn in merino wool and cashmere and there is more than enough for a pair of socks (once I get to it, I'm going to list the rest on Howard Knits). It is red, however, so I'm going to have to think of another name for my Absinthe socks - perhaps "Opium?"

Photobucket

Finally, a few weeks a go, I won a $35 gift certificate from Becky of Needles of Iron to her etsy shop Atomic Sisters. It's a great shop, and I opted for 250 yards of homespun natural black alpaca, which I got in the mail a few days ago and is totally divine!!! I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet; right now I'm just squeezing it and petting it and thinking how lucky I am to have won such lovely yarn! Thanks, Becky!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

Mmmm, alpaca. I'm drooling.

stringsofpurls said...

Love, love alpaca! I vote for fingerless mitts!

Anonymous said...

Me too! I think alpaca is probably my favorite fiber ever!

ImplausibleYarn said...

Wow, I am envious over your socks, they are beautiful and alpaca? They will be lovely when they are finished.

Related Posts with Thumbnails