Saturday, September 4, 2010

One of Those Days

So my day started as One of Those Days. I should let you know that I have been hit with the doldrums in a big way. This morning, I woke up, promptly got peed on by Will (ah, the joys of motherhood), and decided it was time to lock myself in the bathroom with a magazine and a steamy hot bath.

Photobucket

source

I got caught up in my magazine. It is the September Vogue - 20 gajillion pages of fashion - and before I knew it, the bathtub was overflowing. I looked at the floor and it didn't look all that wet. So I went back to reading about NYC's Fashion's Night Out.

About 10 minutes later, I am roused out of my fashion revelry by frantic knocking on the door by my husband. "I have to get in!!! Unlock the door! The basement it flooded and I have to figure out why!" SO I look at the floor again, and this time I see water all over the floor. Lots of it. And my husband it still hysterically telling me to let him in.

So in my calmest, most chastened voice, I answer, "Well, um, Tim, you see, the tub kind of overflowed, and I think that's why there's water in the basement."

"The tub overflowed and you did nothing about it?!"

"Tim," at this point, my irritation is beginning to show, "I didn't know it was that bad! If I had known it was that bad, don't you think I would have done something about it?"

"Well, all I know is that the basement is all wet and now you're telling me you overflowed the tub and you didn't even clean it up??"

Photobucket
source

So I got out of the tub, feeling totally like a 5 year old who is being scolded by her dad, and grabbed towels and sopped up the (very wet) floor. And I opened the door and threw a towel at Tim because there was water leaking into our bedroom.

"Thanks for making me feel like a child!" I yelled, slammed the door, and got back into the tub. I'm sure Tim rolled his eyes. He rolls his eyes when he's frustrated.

I'm here to tell you that this could have been handled much better. And I'm not talking about how Tim handled it - I'm responsible for the words that come out of my mouth, not his. He was just trying to figure out why there was water filling up the basement.

Photobucket
source

So, after I got out of the house and cooled down a bit, I went to the Bible. I needed to put some sort of positive spin on this whole experience, because, I gotta tell you, when I'm not doing well depression wise, I can turn into a pit viper. I don't like being a pit viper. I like it when people say "Oh, that Erin, she's just the nicest!" What I found had nothing to do with an overflowing bathtub, or even treating your husband with respect and treating your wife like Christ treats the church. But I love it.

Psalm 133
A song of ascents. Of David.
1 How good and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in unity!

2 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron's beard,
down upon the collar of his robes.

3 It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the LORD bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.

David had his issues. We could start with a certain woman bathing on a roof, David getting a major jones, and sending her husband into the front lines of battle assuring his death. Yet David recognized that God's blessing is bestowed upon all of us, covering our heads, faces, and collars like anointing oil, giving us life forevermore. And through Christ, all of those rituals of the Old Testament that David had to go through to assure his atonement were washed away just by our belief and love for Him. That love for him then seeps out of us, like that pesky overflowing water, touching everyone we encounter. Our love for Christ gives us the opportunity to wash others clean.

"Awaken me from my sleep
And open up my weary eyes
Move me from my complacency
And bring my soul back to life

Won't You take this heart and mind
And help me to believe?

In the fire that ignites my bones
It's in the water that brings life to my soul
It's in the blood that washes me clean"

Shawn McDonald
Wash Me Clean

Photobucket
source

***

I would be totally remiss if I didn't thank Christy for featuring my "Puff Balls" notecard on her blog Just Thinkin' in pictures. Her blog is chock full of inspiration and gorgeous photos and I'm honored to have been one of her chosen artists.

12 comments:

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh you gave me a much needed laugh and beautiful lesson too - have a wonderful weekend!

Jen Price said...

Thanks for sharing! It reminds me that I'm not alone when I have those moments! And I love David, too. I recently read through all the Psalms and I loved his the most because it seemed like he was always writing out of such depth.

~Rachel~ said...

Your story gave me a laugh and I love how you turned to the bible as a tool. :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, the argument cracked me up, but the latter part of the post was a really great touch too. :)

Jessica Marie said...

I love the 1st picture! It's very much needed to relax once in a while! This has inspired me to take a bubble bath after church tomorrow! Thanks! :)

Weezer said...

Oh, I started off my day with a look from Mister that made me clinch my teeth and mutter stuff. It took me a few hours to get over it where I could talk to him about it. Thanks for this scripture. I've got it printed out for the next time....and I know there will be a next time.
blessings, dear friend.
Weezer

Kelly said...

hehe, what a great post!

Lois Evensen said...

Ah, the overflowing bath tub. Ours overflows to the kitchen on deck 1, er, uh, the first floor. Daughter's tub overflows to deck 2, er, uh, the second floor. We know all about water on the floor in our more than 100 year old house. I identify! It's only funny if you're not there!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin, This sounds like something I would do. Stuff happens! I hope you enjoyed the Vogue though. J
I had "one of those mornings"... Typepad has been messing with the Editor function recently and until about an hour ago... I couldn't add any images to my posts... grrrr

Relyn Lawson said...

I love this post. I love your honesty and your answer. We all mess up, flub up, and yell at the ones we love most. But, you went to the real Source and found wisdom we all need. Thank you so much for sharing it.

said...

It sounds like you REALLY needed a relaxing bath! It must have been overdue.

I love that scripture about living in unity. Thanks for the blessing.

Laurie said...

Funny and touching story. Hit a little close to home. :-) It's time like these when I find the best thing is just to hug...and hold on.

Related Posts with Thumbnails