Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A ramble with some knitting and kitty pictures (and a profoundly amazing title)

Photobucket

I started this blog as an act of desperation. We had no money, and I was caught hook, line, and sinker by those internet ads promising gobs of cash if you just blogged about something you knew. I knew knitting. So one day, I sat down, signed up for a Blogger account, and wrote about a knit along. Easy peasy! And I incorporated Adwords and waited for the cash to come pouring in.

Photobucket

You know what happened next, don't you? Where was the money??? I quickly learned that blogging was about something completely different than money. I also learned that although I loved to knit, and Dropped Stitches was supposed to be a dedicated knitting blog, I just didn't want to write about knitting all of the time.

Photobucket

So I started putting in tidbits about my life. Then a recipe here and there. I wasn't really dedicated to posting, and for a time quit writing. I hadn't figured out the cardinal rule of blogging: if you really don't want to write about the stuff you are writing about, you aren't going to write a good blog. Easy as that.

Photobucket

Somehow, one day I decided that I was going to start writing again, but this time, I'd use my blog as a creative outlet. It would be my place to let off some steam, explore who I was, and share a bit about knitting. It slowly morphed into a completely different monster. One that will rock you to sleep and sing you a lullaby (because there are no mean monsters in my Dropped Stitches world), but an very interesting monster with a VERY interesting hairdo nonetheless.

Photobucket

The first time I wrote about faith I was scared to death. Who wanted to read about a girl and her faith struggles? As it turned out, a lot of people did. I received more comments than I ever had. I learned to be authentic. And transparent. Every time I revealed more of myself, flawed, scared, depressed, all of the yucky stuff, I felt lighter, more free. And I decided that if people didn't want to read about the yucky, well they just didn't have to, did they?

Photobucket

I don't even know how to categorize what I write now. I just try to share, be true, and you all know that I like pretty pictures, so I share them. I don't share a lot about my family because they need their anonymity, but I share some stuff. By the way, eldest daughter broke her wrist attempting an axel. Figure skating is a dangerous sport!

Photobucket

So that's my ramble. This is what you get when I'm sleepy and a bit migrainous. And in a totally unrelated bit, kitties and knitting just sort of go together, do they not?

Enjoy your day and be good to yourself.

Photobucket


Photos We Heart It

45 comments:

Unknown said...

You can ramble on all day. I think you are darling! Oh, and the pictures are adorable!

Paula@One Mom's Corner of the World said...

I love your blog! I'm visiting from Follow Me Back Tuesday. I signed up to be a new follower.

Lois Evensen said...

Ah, the perfect images to go with the thoughts and feelings. :) You're a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gosh!! The kitty with the little cap on is soo darn cute! If only my cats would sit still long enough with a cap on... :(

Mommy Shy said...

Very creative work and thekitten are so darn cute. Im here from follow me back tuesday and followed you blog as well.

http://www.mixedthoughts.net/follow-me-back-tuesday-week-6/

stringsofpurls said...

And we like it! Thanks Erin. Praying for your daughter.

SM said...

I love the last baby pic, such a cutie!

R Montalban said...

What a lovely blog posting, and I love the picture of the French bulldog with the cute knitted bonnet. If only I had a French Pug...

Carly said...

Hi,
I'm from the TTA. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I love looking at all the beautiful pictures on your blog. It's relaxing, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I'm your newest follower.
Thanks,
Carly
www.WordyOwl.blogspot.com

At the Fence said...

Following from TAT.
Stop by At the Fence and become a neighbor.
http://atthefence.blogspot.com/
Lori

Jill said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - following you back, and after having a quick look around already looking forward to reading more! Beautiful pictures too!! :)

Unknown said...

I love all the pictures today, too cute!

Neccie @ Dizzy Daisy said...

I love reading your blog and I started a blog for the same reason and yes I admit I still put in there that I sell my crafts...some times more than others...lol. I write what I know, what I want to know, and how I feel. I look at the posts I have that have no comments and wonder if I should delete them, but then I say no because I wrote them and I want them there. I have a whole 2nd blog with no followers, but I keep it because I love it too.

anne maskell said...

Hi Erin, your blog is lovely! I'm following you back!

and flowers pick themselves said...

wonderful ramble, erin. i identify with so much of it. have a lovely day :)

xo Alison

gone said...

Ramble away my dear if that is what you call it! The photos are simply precious as well. I am making my rounds on all the blogs I follow, thank you for such a genuine post!
Stay Fabulous
Chara
http://charasjewelcandy.blogspot.com/
www.charasjewelcandy.etsy.com

Sincerely Rae said...

Your blog is lovely, I'm glad that you decided to write from the heart because even though I've only been following you for a few days. I really connect with your writing.

The charming images just make it even better.

Unknown said...

Oh what a cute blog you have! I am following you from TTA, the bunny hop idea is cute, wish I had come sooner!

~Lauri
http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com
l_meinhardt@yahoo.com

Duchess said...

Love the pictures and the colorful yarn! I want some of those squares to hang in my house and make it happy :0)

Ramble away friend..that's what we're here for!

Libby said...

I'm still relatively new to blogging. But I hear you about blogging about everything. :)

Alison @ Welcome Sunshine Home said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting me. I already follow you. :)

Hope you have a great week!

Alison

http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

Velvet Over Steel said...

I absolutely LOVE your bio & pictures! Thank you so much for visiting & the follow, so I could find and follow you back! Great Blog!! :-)
HUGS,
Coreen

Jackie said...

Love all your pictures! following u back :) thx for stopping by today....

discoveringthemeinmommy said...

I wish I could knit!
Love that picture of the kitty with a knitted cap on!

Following back!

Kayla said...

What a great post! I am following back!

Teachinfourth said...

Never forget that it's your blog and you can write about whatever you want.

ImplausibleYarn said...

Oh! I never told you how much I love your British room and how I want one of my own.

ImplausibleYarn said...

You ramble in a lovely fashion and can ramble on all day, I love reading it!

Unknown said...

Wow Erin--Thank You for this post. I was just thinking the other day about how there are certain things I would like to share but don't know how they would be interpreted. I write this for myself and like you said,"I guess if they don't like it, they shouldn't read it."
BTW-love the kitt and the knit!

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

I love all of your words here, and they are so true. That's why I like to say blogging is like a wierd sort of personal therapy or something.

:)LISa

said...

Love, love, love that last picture of the baby!!! And I'm also crazy about your style of blogging. Thanks for introducing me to the word "migranous." I will definitely find use for it as I am frequently migranous. :)

And thanks for stopping by to leave me the photo site links! Awesome; can't wait to check them out!

shawna-mygirls.blogspot.com

~RaenWa~ said...

I just found your blog not to long ago & I must say I really enjoy it. I hope your oldest starts healing fast with minimal pain.

josie said...

I remember when I was in secondary school that we were taught to knit and it became one of my past time. btw. thanks for following, following you back fr. FMBT

Lori said...

Erin, the pictures are so sweet and relaxing, the posts are sincere and real. Makes it nice place to stop by when you just want a breath of fresh air!

Katiebee said...

so very sweet~

the picture of the kitten with the hat....ahhhh, melt my heart~

get well wishes to your daughter~

xo

kate

MY REPUBLIC OF FASHION said...

Beautiful images, my mother taught me how to knit, but, I can't remember how. I must ask her to show me again, 'cause I love that knit-wear look.SarahD:)

Neuroknitter said...

Wow!!! Wow!!! Wow!!! All those precious kitty pics...the one with the cap on its head and the one holding a finger...too precious for words...

I'm so glad you're out there making blogland more beautiful! :)

Ali said...

Such cute pictures. Sorry it took a few days to get over to you!

Sincerely Rae said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate your kind words =]

Manda said...

I love that you are being YOU... speak from the heart regardless of what it's about. Knitting. Jesus. Love. Designer jeans. Doesn't matter if it's wrapped up in Erin paper.

Kimberly Walker said...

I love your blog! Thank you for stopping by mine and leaving a comment... I am now following yours! Great writing... and you have such beautiful photos... gotta love the kittie pics!
Looking forward to reading your next post.
All the best,
Kim

Bitsy Baby Photography said...

love love all these awesome colorful photos & we're allergic but you're making me want a kitty =) I hope your daughter's wrist heals quickly, I broke my foot 2 months ago and it's still not healing well, boo, but I'll follow your advice and be good to myself by propping up this foot in the recliner and reading more blogs =) yaay, there are perks to broken limbs!

Jacqueline said...

Hi, Erin, thanks so much for stopping by my cat blog; it's always nice to meet new friends...I really enjoyed your post, totally related to your "ramble"!...Love the kitty photos as well, they are all adorable and yes, in my opinion, kitties go with everything, especially knitting!...Hope your week is filled with joy!

Dania said...

I'm following back from TTA. Thank you for stopping by and following my blog, and I apologize for being so late. Better late than never :-)

Leigh said...

oh my gosh, erin! i saw that photo of the baby in the knit hat somewhere FOREVER ago and i could never find it again! i'm so glad you posted it here!! YAY!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails